If you enjoy this episode, share it with a friend and leave a review on iTunes. Thanks so much! xx
- “It’s all about the journey. I look at everything being very cyclical instead of linear.” -Jessica
- “You miss all these opportunities when you’re wishing, ‘If only this.’” -Jessica
- “Attaining lasting happiness requires that we enjoy the journey on our way toward a destination we deem valuable. Happiness, therefore, is not about making it to the peak of the mountain, nor is it about climbing aimlessly around the mountain: happiness is the experience of climbing toward the peak.” -Tal Ben-Shahar
- “My definition of ‘true power’ stems from a core of self-compassion and sincerity and dedication to self-improvement. Allowing yourself to truly be yourself is, ultimately, the most powerful thing.” -Jessica
- “Go slow to go fast.” -Joshua Rosenthal
- “Art is not just visual painting, it can be music ,it can be dance, it can be movement, it can be anything. Tap into whatever is your fancy!” -Jessica
- “Being able to sit with your own art is very powerful.” -Jessica
- “One of my first martial arts instructors always said, ‘Trust your gut instinct. Your first instinct is the right instinct.’ I really carry that to this day. It’s very easy to have self-doubt because we’re our harshest critic.” -Jessica
Connect With Jessica
Jessica currently works at a non-profit agency that provides services to individuals impacted by domestic violence and sexual assault. She is the Art Therapist and also serves as the sole, Children’s Advocate. Jessica strives to create a safe and supportive therapeutic environment that helps to provide a voice to survivors. Jessica works from an art and strength-based perspective and adapts her approaches to meet clients’ individual needs. By the use of art therapy, compassion, and her past experience, Jessica assists survivors in safely expressing and containing difficult feelings, coping with traumatic memories and triggers, and supporting emotional stabilization as well as a sense of safety.
Jessica was first introduced to art therapy while working as a volunteer at the University of Kentucky’s Children’s Hospital. The experiences she had with the children inspired her to pursue art therapy as a career. Children inspire her to take risks, color outside the lines, laugh more, find ways to play every day, incorporate sound effects in daily conversations, embrace messes, give more high-fives, and love deeply. Jessica views art as a powerful force that can literally save lives. It is an honor for her to share her passion with others and learn from others’ journeys.
Jessica enjoys exploring, learning, and trying new things. She has been active in martial arts for 23 years and is currently teaching a children’s martial arts class. Some of her other hobbies include: creating art, embracing yoga and Crossfit, gardening, and supporting friends in their own artistic endeavors. She lives in Milwaukee with her fiancé, John and their dog, Montecore.
Connect With Annalicia
Annalicia Lynn is a writer, speaker, coach, podcaster, and founder of YogaAndPilatesOnline.com. She is a health & fitness contributor to CBS Minnesota News, Twin Cities Live, The Huffington Post, Mind Body Green, ELITE DAILY, GetHealthyU, and Cameron Diaz’s Body Book Blog. Through her Free 3-Day Gentle Jumpstart, Yoga & Pilates Online Membership program, podcast, speaking, coaching, and writing, Annalicia helps women across the globe transcend the fears, doubts, and excuses blocking them from the fit, healthy lifestyles they desire. With 10+ years of teaching experience and a life’s journey of lessons to share, she guides others on their path to achieving the lives & bodies they’ve always wanted – on terms rooted in deep self-understanding and self-care.