Recorded on Wednesday, December 9th, 2015.
If you enjoy this episode, share it with a friend and leave a review on iTunes. Thanks so much! xx
- Melissa shares her journey from being a public school teacher in California to becoming the CEO of Compliment, Inc.
- She didn’t ask, “Why can’t I help?” She asked, “How can I help?”
- “The idea behind each of the gifts is that there’s a compliment that seeks to uplift or empower or promote positivity to the recipient and 5% of every purchase every school day gets set aside for the Compliment Scholarship Program so we can continue to support young women in the community in their educational efforts.” -Melissa
- Melissa talks about her first scholarship recipient who is now a senior in college, studying to be a teacher.
- “When I was coming up with the idea for it (Compliment, Inc.), I thought this could take the place of sending flowers or in addition to sending flowers. Just a nice gift that’s a surprise and a way to uplift and inspire and encourage someone.” -Melissa
- “It’s like there’s these little messages of love that get to pass through our hands everyday in our design studio and we get to become a conduit for that love.” -Melissa
- Melissa shares about the struggles in her life that led to the creation of her company. Including, a divorce and three deaths in the span of 90 days.
- “This is something I really love to talk about more privately than I do publically, but I’m really glad that you asked it. I know this sounds dramatic, but Compliment rose out of the ashes of a really dark time. So, the things that I do to make sure my life is on a positive path are what you see from my company.” -Melissa
- We chat about the power of implementing gratitude practices, forgiveness, and quiet time alone into your life.
- “There’s so much to be grateful for all of the time. Surrounding yourself with positivity and making those pathways of gratitude are key.” -Melissa
- “When you hold onto resentment and you can’t forgive, it’s like adding another rock to your backpack or something. It just keeps you so weighed down and every time that you can forgive a little something more, you feel lighter so your spirit can fly a little bit higher.” -Melissa
- “The better I’m getting at forgiving, the less there is I need to forgive.” -Melissa
- “When we get brave enough to be quiet, really powerful things happen.” -Melissa
Connect With Melissa
Melissa Camilleri is the high-school teacher- turned-CEO of Compliment, Inc, a jewelry and gift company that seeks to uplift through kind words, positivity, and education. What started off originally as a fundraiser for Melissa’s students’ college tuitions, Compliment has grown to be a recognized brand with a huge heart for giving back. Since Day 1, proceeds from Compliment’s handmade products have been donated to the Compliment Scholarship Program. Melissa credits much of her brand’s success to her social media efforts, particularly on Instagram, which led her to create the 21 Day Instacourse, where she teaches other entrepreneurs how to create the same kind of massive growth on shoestring budget through the powers of social media.
Connect With Annalicia
Annalicia Lynn is a writer, speaker, coach, podcaster, and founder of YogaAndPilatesOnline.com. She is a health & fitness contributor to CBS Minnesota News, Twin Cities Live, The Huffington Post, Mind Body Green, ELITE DAILY, GetHealthyU, and Cameron Diaz’s Body Book Blog. Through her Free 3-Day Gentle Jumpstart, Yoga & Pilates Online Membership program, podcast, speaking, coaching, and writing, Annalicia helps women across the globe transcend the fears, doubts, and excuses blocking them from the fit, healthy lifestyles they desire. With 10+ years of teaching experience and a life’s journey of lessons to share, she guides others on their path to achieving the lives & bodies they’ve always wanted – on terms rooted in deep self-understanding and self-care.